Sunday, March 20, 2011

I have missed you

I have missed you, my writing self.

It has been almost a year to the day since I last saw you on here and it feels good.

What has been happening in your life since we last met? Have you been reading? Baking? Laughing at your dog? Learning? Loving?

Ok, now that I am done with the attempts at being literary, here goes.

I have been reading. Some really excellent books this past year. Half of a Yellow Sun came on a recommendation from a new friend and it was spot on. I also highly recommend it. The author is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. The Thieves of Manhattan by Adam Langer also stands out. Took me a few pages to get into it, and then wham. I was completely in. I love that, the feeling of being transported into another world by a book. Hmm, the Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde, the second in his Jack Spratt series was as funny and well-written as the first (The Big Over Easy). And one slightly silly book that made me happy. Called The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice. A little love story. Simple. Nothing earth shattering. But after reading a series of dense, serious books, it was refreshing. A palate cleanser if you will.

I haven't been baking nearly as much as I would like. Time seems to get away from now, and when the recipe calls for six hours, well... I hope to be more active soon. I have tried my hand at Angel Food cake (uses up the eggs!) and a souffle (note to self, use good cheese!) and those came out well.

Of course I have laughed at my dog. She is silly.

Learning oh so much. But really, that is a whole other post.

And I am trying to keep on loving. My family. My friends. Me.


"To live content with small means. To seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion. To be worthy not respectable, and wealthy not rich. To listen to stars and birds and babes and sages with an open heart. To study hard, think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions. Never hurry. In a word, to let the spiritual, the unbidden and the unconscious rise up through the common. This is my symphony." - William Henry Channing

No comments:

Post a Comment